Whether you are still in the planning stages or certain of what you want on your day we at St Giles, the Church of England parish church of Bramhope want to help and support you all the way.
First and foremost welcome and congratulations! We wish you well as you begin your journey into married life.
Thanks to changes in the law you can still get married in Bramhope parish church even if you don’t live here.
You can marry in a Church of England church if you can show:-
That one of you:
- has at any time lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months or
- was baptised in the parish concerned or
- was prepared for confirmation in the parish or
- has at any time (so that includes the period up to the time of your marriage if it is more than 6 months) regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months
or That one of your parents, at any time after you were born:
- has lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months or
- has regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months
or That one of your parents or grandparents:
- was married in the parish
In all cases involving church services – i.e. going to normal church services, baptism, confirmation or marriage – this applies only to Church of England services. Even if you cannot demonstrate any of the above connections, we want to help you explore whether it may still be possible for you to marry in your special church.
Please contact us well in advance to discuss the options open to you.
The Church of England teaches that marriage is for life. It also recognises that sadly some marriages do fail and if this should happen it seeks to be available for all involved. The Church accepts that it is possible in some circumstances for a divorce person to marry again in church during the lifetime of a former spouse. Before you set the date please contact the vicar for a discussion as to whether a marriage in church is possible.
Your Church Wedding
The Church of England has a new and very informative web site all about weddings in church. You can plan your day, listen to hymns and music you may want to choose, look at readings that you might like, there is an online wedding planner and it has a FAQ about all aspects of getting married in church. The web address is www.yourchurchwedding.org.
To get married at St Giles ………